Americans have a long history with marijuana use and consumption. What was once a fairly taboo substance often smoked or used in secret, is now a big business across much of the United States. In some places, it seems like marijuana dispensaries are popping up on every corner and that the customers who frequent them are diverse in age, gender, socio-economic status, sexual preference, race and more. These days, marijuana is celebrated rather than shunned.
One of the places this is most commonly seen is in the world of cannabis edibles. Gone are the days when the only choice for marijuana use was a joint, bong, pipe or a batch of brownies. Now, companies across the globe are creating cannabis-based confections and foods that have expanded the market for marijuana use in different and more exciting ways. Here are some of the interesting ways companies have incorporated marijuana into their edible treats.
- BBQ sauce- Who would have thought that thick, smoky, tangy BBQ sauce would be such a delicious vehicle for cannabis? Numerous companies are creating sauces to use on their own as a dip with a snack or as a marinade for more robust meals, but either use will provide the eater with a new way to consume cannabis.
- Coconut oil- Often called a miracle oil, coconut oil is used for everything from cooking to lotion to hair care to oil pulling and oral care. Now, companies have created coconut oil that includes THC, which provides an extra cannabis kick to numerous recipes.
- Snack bars- Jumping on the energy bar trend and the need for accessible food to eat on the go, companies have been creating energy bars that contain cannabis. These bars may be filled with other ingredients like dates, nuts or oats, but all of them contain a bit of cannabis.
- Nut milk- With the increased popularization of vegan and plant-based diets, companies are incorporating cannabis into beverages like almond milk. The milk can not only be consumed by drinking, but can be added to baked goods and other recipes as well for an creamy addition, as well as a cannabis addition.
- Gummy candies- Almost everyone loves gummy candies such as gummy bears or gummy worms and now, many companies are creating colorful, sweet gummy treats, complete with cannabis.
- Beef jerky- No longer just a protein-heavy snack to increase energy, beef jerky has become a popular item for companies to alter with cannabis. This savory snack has become a favorite of many.
- Root beer- For those who want to drink their cannabis, root beer has become a popular vehicle to do so. Its carbonated, sweet and sassafras-forward flavor profile is delicious and thirst-quenching treat.
With so many dispensaries dabbling in edibles, such as places like Greener Pastures, companies have become increasingly creative in the way they conceptualize and manufacture cannabis-based treats. The market for edibles continues to grow and as it does, so does the creativity and culinary prowess of those creating cannabis recipes, meals and snacks.